Stephanie is a shareholder in the Miami and Washington offices, focusing her practice on the health care industry. She provides strategic advice on regulatory issues, transactions, investigations and litigation. Stephanie represents corporate, governmental, academic and individual clients in administrative actions and federal and state courts at both the trial and appellate levels. She also works with clients on internal investigations and responding to governmental requests for information.
Whether it is False Claims Act or qui tam matters, corporate compliance, or licensure matters, Stephanie brings insight and experience to advise clients on a plan of action. She represents companies in a variety of industries and jurisdictions but is best known for her work with life sciences and healthcare industry clients including academic medical centers, hospitals, home health agencies, hospices, laboratories, information technology and device companies.
In the practice of health law, Stephanie takes the time to learn about her clients’ businesses, arriving at a strategy to effectively and efficiently meet their needs and goals and advocate for them. With regulations constantly in flux and frequent innovations in products and services, she works hard to stay abreast of the health care industry’s legal needs.
Stephanie is a past President of the Dade County Bar Association and the fifth woman to hold the position. She is the membership chair and a member of the Executive Committee of Legal Services of Greater Miami's board of directors and a former member of The Florida Bar Grievance Committee. Stephanie also serves on the alumni boards of her Alma Matters, Tufts University and the University of Miami School of Law.
Stephanie has been recognized by Chambers, The Daily Business Review, South Florida Legal Guide, Attorney at Law Magazine, SuperLawyers, and Florida Trend. She was also awarded The Daily Business Review's Rising Star award, The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division's Lynn Futch Most Productive Lawyer, the Cystic Fibrosis 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County, and The University of Miami School of Law Alumni Leadership Award. She is also AV-rated by Martindale Hubbell and a regularly published author. She is also a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, a fellow of the American Bar Association and a fellow of the Litigation Council of America.
Prior to joining GrayRobinson, Stephanie worked at a large international law firm where she chaired the Miami recruiting, summer associate, and community investment committees.
Stephanie serves on alumni boards of her alma maters. She graduated magna cum laude from Tufts University with a Bachelors of Arts in political science. She obtained her law degree from the University of Miami School of Law where she graduated cum laude. While in law school, she served as executive editor of the Inter-American Law Review and was a Dean’s Fellow.
Before practicing law, Stephanie interned for U.S. Senator Connie Mack, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the New York Stock Exchange, and Judges Graham and Ungaro of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Outside of the office, Stephanie enjoys travelling, photography, reading, and spending time with family and friends.
- Tufts University, B.A., political science (magna cum laude)
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Phi Sigma Alpha
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D. (cum laude, 2001)
- Inter-American Law Review, Executive Editor
- Dean’s Fellow
- Society of Bar and Gavel
- Student Bar Association
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S, Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida
- Represented hospitals, home health agencies, universities, and laboratories in licensing, billing, and regulatory matters throughout the country.
- Represented healthcare clients, including hospices, orthopedic device manufacturers, and home health agencies in investigations and False Claims Act litigation.
- Represented a community college in a First Amendment retaliation claim.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- House of Delegates, Delegate
- Mid-year meetings 2020, 2021, annual meeting 2020-2021
- The Florida Bar
- Grievance Committee, Former Member
- American Health Lawyer Association, Member
- Cuban American Bar Association, Former Member
- Dade County Bar Association
- President, 2018-2019
- President Elect, 2017-2018
- Vice President, 2016-2017
- Secretary, 2015-2016
- Treasurer, 2014-2015
- Director 2008-2011, 2012-present
- Dade County Bar Association Young Lawyers Section
- President, 2010-2011
- President Elect, 2009-2010
- Treasurer, 2007-2009
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers, Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Awards & Recognitions
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2013-2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2022
- South Florida Legal Guide
- Top Lawyer, 2018
- Top Up and Comers, Healthcare Litigation – Defense, 2013
- Chambers USA
- Healthcare (Florida), 2021
- Healthcare (Florida), Associate to Watch, 2014
- Daily Business Review, Rising Star, 2015
- The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Section, Lynn Futch Most Productive Young Lawyer, 2011
- University of Miami Law Alumni Association, Alumni Leadership Award, 2011
- Cystic Fibrosis 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade
- American Diabetes Association
- South Florida Community Board, Member, 2010-2018
- Step Out Walk – Miami, Chair 2014, Committee Member
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Membership Committee Chair, 2015-present
- Executive Committee, Member, 2015-present
- Director, 2010-present
- Inns of Court
- Spellman-Hoeveler Inn, Member, 2011-2018
- Miami Pro Bono Round Table, Member, 2010-2014
- Tufts University
- Alumni Council
- Member, 2011-present (elected)
- Associate Member, 2009-2010 (appointed)
- Beyond Boundaries Campaign Committee, 2010-2011
- Miami Alumni Chapter
- Alumni Admissions Program
- University of Miami School of Law Alumni Board
- Director, 2003, 2016-present
- Vice President, Activities; Homecoming Chair, 2020-2021
- Women's Fund of Miami Dade County
- Raise the Bar Reception, Host Committee Member, 2011
Articles & Publications
- “A Commitment to Your Community—Defender of Rights,” American Bar Association, October 2019
- “Key Considerations in Investigations,” FEI Daily, October 2019
- “3 Ways to Manage the Cyber Risk Posed by Connected Medical Devices,” Health Tech Magazine, March 2019
- “It’s a Good Time to False Claims Act-Proof Your Marketing Practices,” Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry (MD+DI), January 2019
- “Wearable Medical Devices Can Raise Issues for Healthcare Professionals,” Healthcare Analytics News, October 2018
- “Wearable Medical Devices Raise Issues for Physicians,” South Florida Legal Guide, July 2018
- “Love It and Ace It: Your Guide to a Great Summer,” American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Young Advocates Vol. 8 No. 2, 2018
- “Just Say Yes: Community Involvement and You,” ABA Section of Litigation Young Advocates, Spring 2017
- “False Claims Act: A Year in Review 2016,” Hogan Lovells Publications, March 2017
- “Setting a rogue to catch a rogue: the changing face of Lincoln's Law,” International Law Office, August 2016
- “Validating Value: What Does Circle C Construction Mean for Health Care FCA Cases?” Bloomberg BNA, May 2016
- “Paving a New Road in FCA Cases: AseraCare Court Grants Summary Judgment for Hospice, Protecting Physician Judgment,” Hogan Lovells Publications, April 2016
- “5 Important Lessons From AseraCare's FCA Case,” Law360, March 2016
- “Proving FCA Liability Through Statistical Sampling and Extrapolation: What’s Next in Life Care?” Healthcare Fraud Report, November 2014