Highly regarded health care lawyer collaborating with clients on the frontline of the industry. Known for expertise in healthcare operational, transactional, and regulatory matters.
Rupasri "Rupa" Lloyd has been advising clients in the health care sector for more than two decades. She is well-versed in this complex and fluid regulatory landscape and works to deliver the forward-thinking strategies necessary to identify and resolve challenges and seize opportunities for growth. Rupa handles operational, corporate, transactional, compliance, and regulatory matters for a diverse range of industry operators and leaders, including hospitals and health systems, health insurance providers, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers and distributors, physician groups, and other regulated providers.
Rupa’s practice includes a wide range of legal and consultative services involving privacy and data security, fraud and abuse, corporate governance, labor relations, licensure and discipline, regulatory compliance, quality improvement, and healthcare risk management. As a knowledgeable and skillful practitioner, Rupa understands the complexities of doing business in the health care space, as well as the immense pressure her clients are under to ensure patient safety and high-quality care, while also maintaining compliance, reducing liability exposure, meeting business objectives, and keeping pace with industry transformation and innovation.
She routinely conducts due diligence, including the preparation and negotiation of agreements in connection with value-based arrangements, clinical trials, life sciences seed funding, telehealth, software licensing, electronic health records (EHR), practice sale and acquisition, medical equipment, real property leases, physician employment, clinical services, and medical directorships. Rupa regularly collaborates with GrayRobinson colleagues in the real estate and taxation practices to round out client service offerings for large and multifaceted health care transactions and projects.
- Represent major commercial health plan as Florida counsel to help navigate and ensure compliance with Florida regulatory landscape for payors.
- Represent multiple Florida health care systems as transactional and regulatory counsel assisting in drafting, negotiating, and structuring a wide range of healthcare arrangements from day-to-day operational matters to highly complex transactions, including review of regulatory and risk factors for multimillion- to billion-dollar bond offerings.
- Represent multiple skilled nursing and assisted living facilities in multimillion-dollar merger and acquisition transactions, primarily on the Seller side.
- Represent physician and dental practices in myriad of specialties and disciplines as outside general counsel assisting in wide range of needs including regulatory compliance, negotiation of vendor and employment contracts, structuring of business operations, and participation in value-based initiatives for transition from volume to value based care.
- Represent multiple tax-exempt organizations with hundreds of millions of dollars of governmental and charitable donor funding as outside general counsel assisting in compliance with 501(c)(3) requirements, federal CMS and state DOH and AHCA requirements tied to grant funding, as well as general assistance with all legal operational, compliance, and transactional needs.
- Represent major national pharmaceutical company as Florida counsel to help navigate and ensure compliance with Florida and FDA rules and regulations related to pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
- Represent mid-size to small medical and dental device companies in negotiating contracts and complying with foreign rules and regulations for distribution of products on national and international scale, as well as navigating domestic state and federal regulatory compliance.
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- "How Inflation and a Rising Rate Economy Impact Startups and VC Investing," Florida Venture Forum, August 16, 2022
- "No Surprises Act and Navigating The Good Faith Estimate Mandate," Alachua County Medical Society, March 3, 2022
- "Will the Federal Vaccine Mandate Apply to Your Healthcare Workers?" GrayRobinson Health Care Team, December 2, 2021
- "FERPA and HIPAA Considerations For K-12 Schools," The Florida School Board Attorney Association Quarterly Meeting, November 5, 2021
- "National Labor Relations Board: Student Athletes as Employees," Host, October 28, 2021
- Panelist, "Cybersecurity in M&A and Commercial Transactions," Aon and GrayRobinson Webinar, March 3, 2021
- "Improving Access to Care – Are Pharmacists the Answer?" American Bar Association Health eSource, February 2021
- "Clinical Crisis Management," Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety 2021 Advocacy Days, February 24, 2021
- Panelist, Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association and Alachua County Medical Society Special Webcast, February 16, 2021
- "Sanitizer Manufacturers Beware – FDA Facility Fee May Be A Hefty One," GrayRobinson Health Care E-lert, January 11, 2021
- “Doing Deals and Disputes in 2020: Revive, Restructure, or Rend Apart,” Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) of Central Florida, October 15, 2020
- “Preserving the Momentum- What Will Telehealth Look Like After the Pandemic?” LinkedIn Pulse August 6, 2020
- "Navigating Concerns About Fraud and Abuse Liability Exposure for Clinical Laboratories Who Perform COVID-19 Antibody Tests," GrayRobinson E-lert, August 5, 2020
- "Pitfalls to Avoid When Sourcing PPE and Other Medical Devices to Help Nation's Need," GrayRobinson COVID-19 Task Force E-lert, April 20, 2020
- “A Huge Sigh Of Relief - Much Needed Covid-19 Blanket Waivers To Stark Are Issued and Retroactive To March 1st”, LinkedIn Pulse, April 1, 2020
- “Key Developments at the Federal and State Level to Address COVID-19” LinkedIn Pulse, March 18, 2020
- "The Expanded Focus of CFIUS," GrayRobinson E-lert, July 9, 2019
- "The Law and The Movies," The Oak Hammock Institute for Learning in Retirement, April 9, 2019
- “The Struggle is Real: 7 Legal Hurdles to Entrepreneurial Success,” Business Report of North Central Florida, November 26, 2018
- “As a Physician How Do I Form a Virtual Group To Qualify for MIPS?” LinkedIn Pulse, August 16, 2018
- “Is the Data Medical Device and Drug Companies Reported About You Accurate?” Health Law Bulletin, LinkedIn Pulse May 15, 2018
- “Quick Facts on the New Law that Applies to Florida Physicians who Prescribe Opioids,” Health Law Bulletin, LinkedIn Pulse April 18, 2018
- “The Opioid Epidemic: State of the Crisis and Potential Solutions,” Alachua County Medical Society, April 17, 2018
- “Opioid Manufacturers and Distributors Beware. Health Law Bulletin,” LinkedIn Pulse February 27, 2018
- "Greater Gainesville: People to Know," Florida Trend Magazine, December 2022
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Committee
- Health Law Committee
- American Health Lawyers Association, Mediator, Member and Contributing Author
- The Florida Bar Health Law Section
- Executive Council
- Secretary, 2022-2023
- Member, 2017-present
- Co-Chair, Legislative Committee, 2018-present
- National Patient Safety Foundation, American Society of Professionals in Patient Safety, Member
- Citizens State Bank Board of Directors, 2018
- City of Gainesville Nature Centers Commission
- Board Member, 2011-2017
- Treasurer, 2014-2017
- Greater Gainesville Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2020-present
- Healthcare Business Roundtable, Founding Member
- Rotary International, Paul Harris Fellow
- Sunrise Rotary of Gainesville, Florida, Member, 2016-present
- UF Innovate | Sid Martin Biotech, Advisory Board, 2020-present
- Cornell Law School, Certificate in Securities Law, 2023
- J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2001, cum laude
- B.S., Cornell University, 1998
- Cornell University, Sloan Program in Health Administration, Certificate in Healthcare Facilities Strategic Planning and Design, 2012
- University of Florida, Certificate in Health Care Risk Management, 2008
- Licensed Health Care Risk Manager, Florida Agency for Health Care Administration, 2008 - 2019
- Board Certified Professional in Patient Safety (NPSF/IHI), 2016-2019
- Mediator, American Health Lawyers Dispute Resolution Service, 2018-present
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida