301 South Bronough Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32301
301 East Pine Street
Orlando, Florida 32801
A fifth-generation Floridian, Dean Cannon began his career as a lawyer in Orlando, practicing state and local government law since 1995. From the Panhandle to the Keys, he has represented sophisticated clients before local, regional and state government entities. He has also represented cities and counties and quasi-governmental authorities, as well as local governments on issues ranging from electric and wastewater utilities to land-use and administrative law.
Dean served in the Florida House of Representatives from 2004 until 2012. During his eight-year tenure, he played pivotal roles in property tax reform, growth management reform, health care and Medicaid reform, and major transportation infrastructure policy initiatives, among many others. He was selected by his peers to become Speaker of the House for the 2010 to 2012 term and is credited with leading the Florida House effectively during a time of great economic and political challenge.
Dean's legislative and executive branch lobbying experience includes representing private clients and local government entities on issues including transportation, education, health care, insurance and appropriations matters. He has also handled civil litigation, administrative law, and regulatory matters before the Division of Administrative Hearings, and appellate matters before district courts of appeal and the Florida Supreme Court.
Dean served as general counsel to the Orange County Charter Review Commission in 2000 and previously represented the City of Orlando before the Florida Legislature and the executive branch.
Dean lives in Tallahassee with his wife, Ellen, and their three children, Dean III, Katherine and Sarah.
- University of Florida, B.S. telecommunications management (1989)
- UF Student Senate, 1987-1988
- UF Hall of Fame, 1989
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D. (1992)
- Florida Blue Key, Vice President, 1990
- Student Body President, 1991-1992
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Florida Association of Professional Lobbyists
- Enterprise Florida, Board Member
- Space Florida, Board Member
- Orlando Economic Partnership, Board Member
Awards & Recognitions
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Politics, Florida Politician of the Decade, 2010-2020
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite, Government & Administrative, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Government Relations Practice, 2021-2022
- Florida Trend, Florida's 500: Florida's Most Influential Business Leaders, 2019-2021
- Kissimmee/Osceola County Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Florida Cornerstone, Class 19
Presentations & Seminars
- "GrayRobinson Florida Legislative Session Weekly Roundup," April 9, 2021
- "Restoring Bilateral Trade Between Canada and Florida," GrayRobinson Webinar, March 11, 2021
- “The COVID-19 Overdose Crisis: 2021 Legislative Session,” Project Opioid, February 11, 2021
- “The Winners Circle: Covering Florida’s Election Results," GrayRobinson Webinar, November 4, 2020
- “Kitchen Table Talk on Reopening Florida Schools,” GrayRobinson 101 Virtual Pop-up Forum, June 18, 2020
- 2019 Future of Florida Forum, Florida Chamber Foundation, October 28, 2019
- “Navigating the Thorny Issues of Preemption and Home Rule," Florida Association of Counties 2019 Annual Conference & Educational Exposition, June 13, 2019
- “Legislative Temperature and Trends—Major Issues Facing Florida Legislature,” Economic Development Council of St. Lucie County, February 5, 2019
- "Lobbying 101," Florida Association of Women Lawyers Lobby Days, February 1, 2018
- “Lobbying 101: Learn from the Pros on Effectively Communicating with Legislators," Florida League of Cities 57th Annual Legislative Conference, December 6, 2017