301 South Bronough Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32301
1795 West NASA Blvd.
Melbourne, Florida 32901
Andy represents public and private clients in civil litigation and appeals, with an emphasis on complex and constitutional claims.
Andy frequently represents state agencies in high-profile litigation and appeals. He has defended the Florida Department of State and Supervisors of Elections in challenges to Florida’s election laws, the Florida House of Representatives and the Florida Senate in redistricting litigation, the Florida Legislature in constitutional challenges to legislative appropriations, and the State of Florida in litigation brought by the United States Department of Justice under the Americans with Disabilities Act. In 2018, Andy was part of the legal team that represented then-Governor Rick Scott and the National Republican Senatorial Committee during post-election recounts and recount-related litigation in the race for United States Senate.
Andy has authored numerous appellate briefs in state and federal court, including briefs on behalf of state colleges and universities.
Before he rejoined GrayRobinson in June 2012, Andy served as Special Counsel to the President of the Florida Senate. As Special Counsel, Andy participated in the development of legislation and served as policy coordinator to the Judiciary Committee, the Health Regulation Committee, and the Ethics and Elections Subcommittee. Florida Trend magazine recognized Andy as one of the State’s Top Government Attorneys.
In 2019 and 2021, Florida Trend named Andy one of its Legal Elite in the Appellate Practice category. Andy holds Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating, AV Preeminent.
Andy has successfully represented:
- Florida Prepaid in an appeal from a challenge to three agency rules that establish an administrative process for the resolution of contract disputes. Florida Prepaid College Board v. Intuition College Savings Solutions, LLC, --- So. 3d ----, No. 1D20-3081, 2021 WL 4771255 (Fla. 1st DCA Oct. 13, 2021).
- The Agency for Health Care Administration in a federal-preemption challenge to Florida’s Medicaid third-party liability statute. Gallardo v. Dudek, 963 F.3d 1167 (11th Cir.), reh’g denied, 977 F.3d 1366 (11th Cir. 2020).
- The National Rifle Association in opposition to the placement of a proposed state constitutional amendment on the general-election ballot. Advisory Opinion to the Attorney General re: Prohibits Possession of Defined Assault Weapons, 296 So. 3d 376 (Fla. 2020).
- Sarasota County in a challenge to its county-commission redistricting plan. Atkins v. Sarasota County, 457 F. Supp. 3d 1226 (M.D. Fla. 2020).
- The Agency for Health Care Administration against an Olmstead action to compel an increase in enrollment in Florida’s long-term care managed care program. Alexander v. Mayhew, 451 F. Supp. 3d 1293 (N.D. Fla. 2020).
- The Agency for Health Care Administration in opposition to class certification in an Olmstead action under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Alexander v. Mayhew, 334 F.R.D. 626 (N.D. Fla. 2020).
- The third-party claims administrator of an ERISA plan on a motion to dismiss five state and federal claims. Gardi v. United Healthcare Services, Inc., 437 F. Supp. 3d 1188 (S.D. Fla. 2020).
- The Florida Legislature in defense of the constitutionality of 185 appropriations worth more than $420 million. Oliva v. Florida Wildlife Federation, Inc., 281 So. 3d 531 (Fla. 1st DCA 2019).
- The Agency for Health Care Administration in a putative class action that challenged state Medicaid policies under three federal statutes, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. A.R. v. Secretary Florida Agency for Health Care Administration, 769 F. App’x 718 (11th Cir. 2019).
- Florida Prepaid against a claim that prepaid college plans cover Florida’s tuition fee differential. Snyder v. Florida Prepaid College Board, 269 So. 3d 586 (Fla. 1st DCA 2019).
- The Florida Legislature in defense of an action to compel the appropriation of more than $1 billion to fund four matching-grant programs. Corcoran v. Geffin, 250 So. 3d 779 (Fla. 1st DCA 2018).
- Eleven state universities as amici curiae in defense of a constitutional challenge to a state university’s conduct of a student-government election. Florida A & M University Board of Trustees v. Bruno, 198 So. 3d 1040 (Fla. 1st DCA 2016).
- The State of Florida in the United States Department of Justice’s challenge to state Medicaid policies under the Americans with Disabilities Act. C.V. v. Dudek, 209 F. Supp. 3d 1279 (S.D. Fla. 2016).
- The Florida House of Representatives in opposition to Florida’s recognition of the private attorney general doctrine as grounds for an award of prevailing-party attorney’s fees. League of Women Voters of Florida v. Detzner, 188 So. 3d 68 (Fla. 1st DCA 2016).
- An association of port pilots in an original action to disqualify two commissioners from a proceeding to establish pilotage rates. Port Everglades Pilots Association v. Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association, 170 So. 3d 952 (Fla. 1st DCA 2015).
- A private contractor in a challenge to the validity of a $230-million state contract to provide inmate health services. Crews v. Florida Public Employers Council 79, 113 So. 3d 1063 (Fla. 1st DCA 2013).
- Twenty-six state colleges and universities as amici curiae in public-records litigation that navigated the intersection of the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Florida’s Public Records Act. Rhea v. District Board of Trustees of Santa Fe College, 109 So. 3d 851 (Fla. 1st DCA 2013).
- The Florida Senate in defense of a state-legislative redistricting plan. In re Senate Joint Resolution of Legislative Apportionment 2-B, 89 So. 3d 872 (Fla. 2012).
- The Florida Secretary of State in defense of the no-solicitation zone around the entrances of polling locations. Citizens for Police Accountability Political Committee v. Browning, 572 F.3d 1213 (11th Cir. 2009).
- The CEO of two out-of-state companies in a challenge to the assertion of personal jurisdiction. Rensin v. State, Office of Attorney General, Department of Legal Affairs, 18 So. 3d 572 (Fla. 1st DCA 2009).
- The Florida Secretary of State against a constitutional challenge to a state statute that regulates private organizations that handle voter-registration applications. League of Women Voters of Florida v. Browning, 575 F. Supp. 2d 1298 (S.D. Fla. 2008).
- The Florida Secretary of State against a constitutional challenge to a state statute that requires verification of the identities of voter-registration applicants. Florida State Conference of NAACP v. Browning, 569 F. Supp. 2d 1237 (N.D. Fla. 2008).
- The Florida Secretary of State against a federal-preemption challenge to a state statute that requires verification of the identities of voter-registration applicants. Florida State Conference of NAACP v. Browning, 522 F.3d 1153 (11th Cir. 2008).
- A community redevelopment agency in support of the validity of a municipal charter amendment. Feldman v. City of North Miami, 973 So. 2d 647 (Fla. 3d DCA 2008).
- The Florida Secretary of State in defense of notices at polling locations regarding the substitution of one candidate for another who had withdrawn. Cobb v. Thurman, 957 So. 2d 638 (Fla. 1st DCA 2006).
- University of Florida, LL.M., taxation (2005)
- Graduate Research Assistant to Professor Lawrence Lokken
- University of Florida, J.D. (magna cum laude, 2004)
- Order of the Coif
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Patricia C. Fawsett, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Book Awards
- Legal Research and Writing
- Appellate Advocacy
- Eminent Domain
- Elections and Campaign Finance
- Taxation of Gratuitous Transfers
- Florida Law Review
- Accomplished Research Award
- Journal of Law and Public Policy
- University of Central Florida, B.A. political science - prelaw (cum laude, 2000)
- Golden Key International Honour Society
Awards & Recognitions
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite
- Appellate Practice, 2019, 2021
- Top Government Attorneys, 2011
- Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2009-2010
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- The Federalist Society
- Judicial Nominating Commission, Fifth District Court of Appeal, 2018-2022
- "Manatee County narrows redistricting options ahead of vote." Herald Tribune, December 8, 2021
- "Democrats keep raising the issue of prison gerrymandering. What’s that mean for redistricting?" Florida Politics, November 4, 2021
- "Democrats’ push for political parity in redistricting irks House committee chair," Florida Phoenix, November 2, 2021
- "Florida’s Redistricting Process Can’t Intentionally Favor One Party, Only By Accident," Florida Politics, November 2, 2021
- "DeSantis' Attorneys Defend Law That Keeps Transgenders Out of Girls Sports," Legal Newsline, August 31, 2021
- "Fla. Argues Challenge To Trans Athlete Ban Is Unripe," Law360, August 24, 2021
- "FDOC ‘Disagrees’ With Federal Probe That Found Pattern Of Sexual Abuse At Lowell Prison," WMFE, February 2021
- "State Disputes Report On Prison Sexual Abuse," News Service of Florida, February 2021
- "State, Plaintiffs Tout Vote-by-Mail Settlement," News Service of Florida, July 2020
- "Judge Rules Sarasota County Redistricting Legal, New Lines Stand for 2020," Florida Politics, May 2020
- "Judge Rules Sarasota County Redistricting Legal, New Lines Stand for 2020," Sayfie Review, May 2020
- "Sarasota County May Seek Court Costs in Redistricting Lawsuit," Herald-Tribune, May 2020
- "Sarasota County Will Go After Plaintiffs In Redistricting Case To Recover Court Costs," Herald-Tribune, May 2020
- "Sarasota County Will Go After Plaintiffs In Redistricting Case To Recover Court Costs," GVTC Communications, May 2020
- "Sarasota County Wants to be Reimbursed for Costs of Redistricting Lawsuit," Herald-Tribune, May 2020
- “Court Backs Lawmakers in Conservation Fight,” Florida Politics, May 2020
- "Sarasota County Responds in Redistricting Litigation," SUN Englewood, January 2020
- "Dismissal Sought in Redistricting Litigation," SUN Englewood, January 2020
- "Fla. High Court Urged To Review Use Of Land Buying Funds," Law360, November 2019
- "Gun Rights Groups, Moody Target Assault Weapons Ban," WCTV, November 2019
- "Environmentalists, State Wrangle Over Conservation Spending," WJCT, July 2019
- "Florida Continues Fight with Environmentalists Over Conservation Spending," Tampa Bay Times, July 2019
- "Fla. Says Land Buying Funds Can Go To Other Enviro Uses," Law360, July 2019
- "Florida Prepaid 'Tuition Differential Fee' Doesn't Entitle Out-Of-State Students to Tuition 'Windfall:' Appeals Panel," Florida Record, March 2019
- "Deja Vu: Recount Veterans Back At It In Florida," Law360, November 2018
- "Florida Senate Recount Set to Get First Day in Federal Court," Politico Florida, November 2018
- "Rick Scott Files Recount Lawsuit Against Hillsborough Elections Supervisor," November 2018
- "Last Call for 11.12.18 — A Prime-time Read of What’s Going Down in Florida Politics," Florida Politics, November 2018
- "Dems Up the Ante As Fla. Recount Litigation Piles Up," Law360, November 2018
- "Big Law Mustering for Suit Over Florida Recount in Race Between Rick Scott and Bill Nelson," Law.com, November 2018
- "Legislature Argues its Case on Matching Funding," Panama City News Herald, December 2017
- "Plaintiffs Will Combine Forces in Amendment 1 Lawsuit," Florida Politics, December 2016
- "Fla. Judge Rejects Dems' Request To Hurry Voter Verification," Law360, October 2016
- "Senate Lawyers Defend Redistricting Work-Product," SunSentinel, April 2012
- "Senators Hold Mini-Lottery to Resolve Dispute Over District Maps," Orlando Sentinel, March 2012
- "Senate Wants to Delay Redistricting Lawsuit -- Until After the Elections," SunSentinel, March 2012
Presentations & Seminars
- “Introduction to Redistricting Law,” Florida House of Representatives Redistricting Committee, November 2021
- “Recent Election Litigation,” 44th Annual Local Government Law in Florida Seminar, April 2021
- "Introduction to Redistricting Law," Florida Senate Committee on Reapportionment, December 2010
- "Political Committees, Committees of Continuous Existence, and Electioneering Communications Organizations," Chamber of Commerce Business Advocacy Workshop , July 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court