Highly skilled financial services lawyer representing banks and securities industry clients throughout the U.S. Known for client service focus, rigid attention to detail, and deep experience handling complex securities litigation, arbitration, and regulatory matters.
An accomplished financial services industry litigator and counselor, Frederick Schrils leads GrayRobinson’s Securities Litigation, Arbitration, and Regulatory Team and serves as managing shareholder of the firm’s Tampa office. Frederick is a meticulous and intuitive strategist who helps securities and financial services industry clients navigate complex issues and disputes, mitigate risk, and negotiate positive outcomes in litigation, arbitration, and regulatory proceedings. Frederick also counsels securities industry clients in connection with employment-related matters, as well as investigations, and administrative actions initiated by state, federal, and self-regulatory agencies and organizations.
Frederick has built a nationwide reputation for his skill and expertise in this highly specialized area of law, spending more than three decades representing banks, broker-dealers, registered representatives, investment advisors, and financial planners in state and federal courts, as well as in arbitration proceedings administered by a wide variety of arbitration organizations, including the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the American Arbitration Association (and its International Center for Dispute Resolution), and Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services, Inc. (JAMS).
Frederick works to understand and anticipate client needs and responsibilities. His attention to detail enables him to assimilate and recall vast amounts of information necessary to investigate, understand, and defend against complex claims. He is also an accomplished writer and teacher, having authored several articles involving the securities industry, presented at numerous regional and national securities industry conferences, trained securities arbitrators in conjunction with various arbitrator training programs, and taught a Securities Arbitration course as an Adjunct Professor at Stetson University College of Law.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2015-2023
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation – Securities
- The Business Journal, Top 100 Influencers: Law List, 2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2022
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite, selected for inclusion, 2004-2009, 2011-2014
- South Florida Top Rated Lawyer, 2014
- Tampa Top Rated Lawyer, Securities Litigation, 2013
- "Ethically and Effectively Cooperating in Securities Litigation," Hillsborough County Bar Association, Securities Law CLE, March 28, 2019
- "Securities Arbitration and How It Differs From The Litigation Process," Paralegal Association of Florida, Inc., Tampa, Florida, April 3, 2018
- "Drafting ADR Provisions in Commercial Contracts," Emory Law School Guest Lecture, Atlanta, Georgia, November 9, 2017
- "FINRA Arbitration," Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association’s (PIABA) 26th Annual Meeting and Securities Law Seminar, Colorado Springs, Colorado, October 21, 2017
- "Best Trial Practices In A Final Hearing," 2015 Annual Meeting, Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (PIABA), Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, October 22-24, 2015
- "Who is a Customer?" Industry Panel Event, Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association and Florida Securities Dealers Association, St. Petersburg, Florida, May 1, 2015
- "Social Media Challenges," 24th Annual Securities Compliance Seminar, Financial Markets Association, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, April 22-24, 2015
- "Non-Traditional Customers in FINRA Arbitrations," SIFMA Compliance and Legal Division Annual Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, 2013
- Author, "Dismissal Motions in Arbitration — Are They Worth Saving?" Florida Review, Florida Securities Dealers Association, February 15, 2008
- Co-Author, "Should Non-Lawyers Be Permitted to Represent Parties in Binding Arbitrations?," Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association, February 2008
- Co-Author, "Appealing Arbitration Decisions — Look Before You Leap," Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association, June 2007
- American Bar Association
- Broker-Dealer Litigation Subcommittee
- Securities Arbitration Subcommittee
- Securities Litigation Committee
- The Federal Bar Association
- Financial Markets Association
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyers Section
- Florida Securities Dealers Association, Inc.
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Trial and Litigation Section, Director
- Chair, 13th Judicial Circuit Greivance Committee
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association Compliance and Legal Division
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1986, with Honors
- B.B.A., University of Kentucky, 1983, with Distinction