October 19, 2022
On Wednesday, October 19, 2022, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) announced the release of a new poster, “Know Your Rights,” replacing the previous poster, “EEOC is the Law.” The poster summarizes federal laws prohibiting job discrimination and explains that employees or applicants can file a charge if they believe they have experienced discrimination. The EEOC claims the new poster uses plain language and bullet points that make it easier for employers to understand their legal responsibility and for workers to understand their legal rights and how to contact the EEOC for assistance.
- The new “Know Your Rights” poster includes these changes:
- Uses straightforward language and formatting;
- Notes that harassment is a prohibited form of discrimination;
- Clarifies that sex discrimination includes discrimination based on pregnancy and related conditions, sexual orientation, or gender identity;
- Adds a QR code for fast digital access to the how to file a charge of workplace discrimination webpage; and
- Provides information about equal pay discrimination for federal contractors.
- Access the new poster here.
As with the previous posting requirements, place the poster in a conspicuous location and workplace where notices to applicants and employees are customarily posted. The EEOC also encourages employers to post a notice on their website in a prominent place. Employers are subject to fines for noncompliance.