1404 Dean Street
Fort Myers, Florida 33901
3838 Tamiami Trail North
Naples, Florida 34103
Derek Rooney practices in the areas of land use law and local government law and is a Board Certified Attorney in City, County & Local Government law. Derek represents private and government clients on questions of general municipal law, land use and public-private partnerships.
Derek currently serves as counsel to the City of Bonita Springs, the Village of Estero, the City of LaBelle, the Charlotte County Industrial Development Authority, the Lee County Metropolitan Planning Organization, the Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida, and as special counsel to a number of other local government entities. He previously served as counsel to the Charlotte County–Punta Gorda Metropolitan Planning Organization, the Town of Fort Myers Beach, the City of Marco Island, and Charlotte County.
Derek has a multi-disciplinary practice involving land use law, real estate and land development, environmental law, municipal finance and economic development.
While he has represented clients throughout the state, Derek focuses on the needs of Southwest Florida and primarily practices in Charlotte, Collier, Desoto, Glades, Hendry, Lee, Manatee and Sarasota counties. As a litigator, Derek concentrates on prosecuting and defending land use decisions before Florida courts, the Division of Administrative Hearings and a variety of state and local bodies. He also has extensive experience with claims under the Bert J. Harris, Jr., Private Property Rights Protection Act.
Derek is originally from Fort Lauderdale and has lived in Punta Gorda since 2007 after returning to Florida from Washington, D.C.
- Florida International University, B.A., (2002)
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D. (2006)
- District of Columbia
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Board Certified in City, County & Local Government Law
- City, County and Local Government Law Section
- Environmental and Land Use Law Section
- City, County & Local Government Law Certification Standing Committee
- Military Affairs Standing Committee
- Florida Municipal Attorneys Association, Member
Awards & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2018-2022
- Naples Illustrated, Top Lawyers, 2019, 2020
Presentations & Seminars
- “Land Use Issues in Golf Course Redevelopment,” The Florida Bar’s Environmental & Land Use Law Sections “New, Different, Unusual, & Uncertain – Environmental & Land Use Law Issues Facing All Floridians” Conference, Orlando, Florida, January 29, 2016
- "Understanding Riparian and Water Rights," Determining Land Ownership and Access Rights Seminar, HalfMoon Education, Inc., Fort Myers, Florida, June 12, 2015
- "Who Participates in a Land Use Hearing," The Promise Lands of the American Planning Association (APA)'s Land Use Symposium, Port Charlotte, Florida, May 8, 2015
- “The Cast of Thousands,” Relevance of Testimony and the Standard of Review in Quasi-Judicial Hearings, The Promise Lands of the American Planning Association Land Use Symposium, Cape Coral, Florida, May 16, 2014
- “Nollan and Dolan II, Burden of Proof,” The American Planning Association’s National Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, April 28, 2014
- Charlotte County Economic Development Partnership, Board Member
- Charlotte County Manatee Advisory Committee
- Tiger Bay Club of Southwest Florida
- Charlotte County Law Library, Board of Trustees