515 North Flagler Drive
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
Ron is a shareholder in GrayRobinson’s West Palm Beach law firm office and he leads the firm’s Religious Organizations Team. He focuses his practice on business and commercial litigation, catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death actions, partnership and shareholder disputes, complex tort litigation, construction defect actions and defending religious organizations.
Ron is an elected member of The Florida Bar Board of Governors. He is a past president of the North County Section of the Palm Beach County Bar Association, a past chair of the Palm Beach County Bar Association’s Professionalism Committee and is an emeritus member of the Craig S. Barnard American Inn of Court.
Ron manages the Religious Organizations Blog, keeping readers informed of legal issues affecting all manners of religious organizations.
Areas of Emphasis
- Corporate and Business Litigation
- Church Law
- Shareholder Disputes
- Partnership Disputes
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Construction Defects
- Lafayette College, A.B. (magna cum laude with departmental honors in Government and Law)
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D. (cum laude)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Elected member of the Board of Governors
- Current Chair of the Disciplinary Review Committee
- Past Chair of the Fourth District Court of Appeal Judicial Nominating Commission Screening Committee
- Past Chair of the Disciplinary Procedures Committee
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Past President of the North County Section
- Past Chair of the Professionalism Committee
- Craig S. Barnard American Inn of Court, Emeritus Member
Awards & Recognitions
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013-2022
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2016-2021
- The Florida Bar, Tony Boggs Excellence in Discipline Award, 2021
- The Florida Bar, “Excellence in Writing Award” Finalist, 2003
- Bench Trial: Represented majority shareholders in a lawsuit filed by minority shareholders. Lawsuit included actions for breach of fiduciary duty and corporate dissolution.
- Litigation: Defended church entity in multiple wrongful death actions arising from a van rollover.
- Bench Trial: Represented a partner to a medical practice in cross-motions seeking temporary injunction.
- Jury Trial: Represented homeowner in prosecution of a counterclaim against a contractor for construction defects.
- Appeal: Secured affirmance on behalf of a personal representative of a judgment against a beneficiary to the estate; also secured an award of appellate attorney fees.
- Litigation: Defended bus manufacturer in federal court product liability wrongful death actions.
- Jury Trial: Represented lender in an action against a borrower for loan defaults.
- Bench Trial: Defended borrower in a motion seeking appointment of a receiver filed by a lender pursuant to asset based lending agreements.
- Appeal: Prevailed on a writ of prohibition on behalf of a church entity, upholding the church entity’s First Amendment right to the separation of church and state.
Articles & Publications
- "Florida’s Unincorporated Not-For-Profit Religious Associations," Religious Organizations Legal Updates, April 2019
- "To Remove a Neighbor's Tree Roots or Not... That is The Question!" Religious Organizations Legal Updates, February 2019
- "Guns in Places of Worship? The Debate Continues," Religious Organizations Legal Updates, January 2019
- "Riparian Rights: Use and Enjoyment of Water Adjacent to Owned Property," Religious Organizations Legal Updates, January 2019
- "Benefits of Hiring an Independent Contractor to Make Church Repairs," Religious Organizations Legal Updates, January 2019
- "Trip and Falls: Who Do We Need to Protect, and How?" Religious Organizations Legal Updates, November 2018
- "The Ministerial Exception," Religious Organizations Legal Updates, May 2017
- "Attorney fee-shifting in Florida," Insurance Day November 2013
- "Opinion on ministerial exception may have a downside in Florida," Daily Business Review, January 2012
- "Does the new hate crimes act affect how pastors preach the gospel?" Church Executive, February 2010
- "When courts can resolve church property disputes," Church Solutions, January 2008
- "Could a hate crimes law stifle religious practice and dissent?" Church Executive, September 2007
- "A Rock Solid Foundation for the wall of separation between church and state in employment decisions concerning clergy," Florida Bar Journal, October 2004
Presentations & Seminars
- "Navigating the Road After the Florida Bar Exam," Faith and Law Around the Globe Webinar, October 29, 2020
- “Re-Opening Your Religious Organization: Preparing for New Ways of Worship and Service,” COVID-19 Conversations Webinar Series, June 23, 2020