Accomplished trial attorney and reliable ally providing uncompromising counsel in complex cases. A shrewd, creative, and strategic litigator.
Over more than two decades, Troy Smith has become the “weapon of choice” for many Florida businesses in the courtroom. While his practice focuses primarily on high-stakes litigation related to business and contractual disputes, Troy has successfully tried complex cases in many of today’s prevalent and critical areas of legal conflict. Troy brings a depth of trial experience in patent and trademark litigation, class action defense, trade secrets, software technology, personal injury, and product liability litigation. He handles claims involving breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and other business damage claims, and his clients range from Fortune 100 companies to small business owners.
Troy’s experience includes representing medical device manufacturers in patent infringement matters; companies and individuals in contractual disputes, business valuations, employment matters, and insurance claims; inventors in patent infringement and licensing agreement litigation; large corporations and individuals in trademark infringement litigation; plaintiffs and defendants in personal injury and general liability litigation; owners, developers, and contractors in construction defection litigation; and landowners and taking authorities in eminent domain and inverse condemnation matters. He also provides religious organizations, nonprofits, and start-up companies with counsel and strategic advice when disputes become irreconcilable.
- Successfully represented a medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement matter, obtaining one of the largest patent verdicts in Florida’s history.
- Successfully represented the world’s largest contact lens manufacturer in high-stakes patent and class action antitrust matters.
- Successfully represented a nationally known brand in enforcing multiple trademark infringement matters through litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Successfully represented one of the world’s largest manufacturers of residential windows and doors in product defect claims.
- Successfully represented a product manufacturer in national class action and individual property damage claims and in connection with catastrophic property and personal injury claims.
- Successfully represented a wholesaler and retailer of motor fuel in administrative matters before the State of Florida and anticompetitive litigation against competitors.
- Best Lawyers in America
- Litigation - Intellectual Property Practice, 2021-2024
- Commercial Litigation Practice, 2021-2024
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers
- Business Litigation, 2014-2023
- "Canine Implant Patent Fight Settles After J&J's $60M Trial Win," Law360, April 5, 2023
- "J&J Wants Rival's 'Meritless Delay Tactic' Denied," Law360, March 13, 2023
- “Saying J&J Rival Shows ‘No Respect,’ Judge Issues Sales Ban,” Law360, February 23, 2023
- “Fla. Jury Says J&J Unit is Owed $59.5M in Implant Patent Fight,” Law360, January 13, 2023
- “Fla. Judge Order Halt to Infringing Canine Implant Sales,” Law360, February 8, 2023
- "Carlton Fields Defending GrayRobinson Patent Infringement Suit Over Air Fryer," Daily Business Review, February 1, 2022
- American Inns of Court
- Chester Bedell Inn of Court – Master
- Federal Bar Association
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- Board of Governors, Young Lawyers Section, 2002-2007
- Secretary, Young Lawyers Section, 2007
- Treasurer, Young Lawyers Section, 2006
- Leadership Jacksonville, Class of 2013
- LifeWork Leadership, First Coast/Jacksonville, Class of 2023
- Texas Bar
- The Florida Bar Association
- Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee, 2014-2018
- Constitution Revision Subcommittee, 2016-2018
- Christian Legal Society
- Angelwood, Inc.
- Board of Directors, 2010-2012
- Church of Eleven22
- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1996
- B.S., Vanderbilt University, Political Science and Cognitive Studies, with honors, 1993
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas