Adept litigator who applies analytical skills and research ability to craft winning legal arguments.
Thomasina has a diverse legal background in labor and employment law, appellate law, juvenile law, ethics and public records, and government contracting matters. Board certified by The Florida Bar in appellate practice and juvenile law, she has successfully handled dozens of complex appeals throughout her career and has argued before all Florida District Courts, the Florida Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Thomasina regularly counsels government agencies and businesses on employment matters, including employee relations issues, policy development, and compliance with federal, state, and local laws, including FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, Title VII, and ERISA.
- Developed and presented a constitutional analysis on the scope of parental rights, which the Florida Department of Children and Families supported after taking a contrary position in prior district court cases. The Supreme Court adopted the argument, and the decision continues to positively impact thousands of children throughout Florida each year.
- Served on a committee charged with developing a rule for ineffective assistance of counsel in cases regarding the termination of parental rights. Authored the minority report and was chosen by the committee chair to argue its merits in the Supreme Court, which ultimately adopted a majority of the report.
Awards & Recognitions
- Florida TaxWatch Productivity Awards
- Free Florida CLE: LeGAL Support for your Pro Bono Practice, 2020
- FAWL in Love with GAL, 2019
- Defending Best Interests Project, 2018
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite, 2020-2021
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Pro Bono Legal Services Committee
- Appellate Practice Section
- Legislative Committee, Co-Chair, 2021-present
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers
- Executive Board, 2020-present
- Legislative Director, 2020-present
- Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad Law Center, J.D.
- Nova Southeastern University, B.S. Legal Studies
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Judicial Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida
- "Briefcase," Tallahassee Democrat, January 6, 2022
- "Stare Decisis: Old Principle, New Views," Everything Old is new Again CLE Series presented by the Guardian ad Litem Program and the Pro Bono Committee of The Florida Bar’s APS, January 26, 2022