401 East Las Olas Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
Mizner Park Office Tower
225 N.E. Mizner Blvd.
Boca Raton, Florida 33432
William is a shareholder in GrayRobinson’s Fort Lauderdale office. He focuses his diverse litigation practice on construction-, land use- and real estate-related matters as well as general commercial litigation.
William has significant experience representing owners and contractors in construction defect, construction lien and delay claims. His construction law practice also includes significant experience negotiating and drafting owner/contractor, owner/architect and subcontractor agreements.
As a land use litigator, William has represented numerous local, statewide and national clients in administrative and quasi-judicial proceedings throughout the state of Florida involving code enforcement, permitting, special exceptions, variances, and other zoning and land use matters. Through his extensive land use practice, William has gained significant experience with, knowledge of and insight into state, local and national laws regulating the outdoor advertising industry and has drafted or participated in the drafting of several municipal ordinances related to off-site advertising.
William also maintains an extensive real estate litigation practice in which he represents homeowners and condominium associations in covenant enforcement, assessment collection and general association governance issues. His real estate litigation practice also includes significant experience in commercial and residential foreclosure matters, easement litigation, and a wide variety of other real property disputes.
As a commercial litigator, William has a broad range of experience representing clients in cases involving business torts, employee noncompetition agreements, commercial and residential landlord-tenant matters, shareholder disputes, and a wide range of contract and other complex business disputes.
- University of Florida, B.S.B.A. (1991)
- St. Thomas University School of Law, J.D. (magna cum laude, 1997)
- Graduated top 3% of class
- St. Thomas Law Review, Member
- St. Thomas University School of Law Academic Scholarship
- Dan Bradley Memorial Scholarship
- Best in Class Honors in Legal Research & Writing; Advanced Legal Research & Writing; Trial Advocacy Practice; Interviewing, Counseling & Negotiating; Torts; Contracts; Environmental Law; Professional Responsibility; and Race & The Law
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Civil Procedure Rules Committee (2001-2007)
- Judicial Administration Rules Committee (2006-2007)
- Code & Rules of Evidence Committee (2000-2001)
- Client's Security Fund Committee (1999-2000)
- Judicial Nominating Commission, Seventeenth Circuit
- Chair, 2017-2018
- Vice Chair, 2016-2017, 2019-2020
- Member, 2012-2014, 2014-2018, 2018-present
- District of Columbia Bar
- Broward County Bar Association
- St. Thomas University School of Law, Dean's Board of Advisors (2006-present)
- American Bar Association
- Obtained temporary injunction on behalf of national cable provider, enjoining attempted termination of bulk services contracts by three condominium associations both "for cause" and pursuant to unit-owner vote
- Successfully represented international cargo shipping company in administrative challenge to application by neighboring mega-yacht repair facility for issuance of dock permits
- Successfully represented local community banks in more than 20 multimillion-dollar commercial foreclosure actions over the past two years
- Obtained a summary judgment and attorneys' fees award for defendant in $2.5 million tortious interference action brought by attorney alleging that defendant had caused attorney's discharge in contingency fee case where former client obtained a multimillion-dollar verdict
- Obtained variance for two shopping center owners in Hillsborough County, allowing owners to maintain existing on-site signage well in excess of signage presently permitted by code. Only two variances approved out of more than 150 applications filed with county
- Successfully negotiated agreement with Palm Beach County municipality for the erection and maintenance of billboards on city-owned property by major outdoor advertising company, which included drafting a new sign ordinance for adoption by the city commission
- Successfully represented one of the nation's largest outdoor advertising companies in numerous code enforcement actions throughout the state
- Successfully represented American Kennel Club judge in defamation action, involving defamatory statements made through an Internet chat forum
- Leadership Broward, Class XXXI
Awards & Recognitions
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2021
- "Top Lawyer," Fort Lauderdale Illustrated, 2020