Doug Knox, of counsel in GrayRobinson’s Tampa office, maintains a national practice representing franchise companies, area and regional developers, and franchisees in virtually all aspects of franchising and franchise litigation. While Doug has gained a breadth of experience in dozens of bench and jury trials and arbitrations during his career, much of his practice now focuses on counseling clients on franchising, business transactions, regulatory compliance, and other areas of risk management. His litigation practice includes complex franchising and contractual disputes, business torts, consumer protection claims, trademark and trade secret disputes, unfair trade practices, class action defense, and insurance coverage disputes. Doug’s broad experience as a litigator and business counselor allows him to provide effective outside general counsel services.
- University of Florida, B.A. (2000) (High Honors in English)
- University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law, J.D. (magna cum laude, 2004)
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
- Moot Court Board, President
- Book awards: International Business Transactions, Legal Drafting, Appellate Advocacy, Legal Research and Writing, and Criminal Procedure
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Obtained a favorable trial judgment on behalf of a franchise company against a competitor for claims of tortious interference and trade secret misappropriation.
- Defeated class certification of consumer claims brought under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act.
- Obtained injunctive relief enjoining trade secret misappropriation on behalf of a franchise company against a competitor and former employee.
- Obtained a permanent injunction enjoining a competitor from using a franchise company’s trademarks.
- Obtained a $1.2 million jury verdict on behalf of a local business in an insurance coverage dispute.
- Obtained final summary judgment (affirmed by Eleventh Circuit) on behalf of a national bank sued for violating the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act.
- Successful defense through judgment and appeal of an international warehouse lender sued for violating Florida usury law.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict on behalf of a franchise company sued for fraud by a former franchisee.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of a trial court’s dismissal for lack of standing.
- Supervised thousands of lawsuits arising from borrower defaults, REO property ownership, and consumer protection claims arising from Florida’s housing crisis.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association
- Forum of Franchising member
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
Presentations & Seminars
- "Can I Give You a Call? Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) Dos, Don'ts, and Defenses", Corporate Counsel Section Luncheon/CLE, March 2016
- “Franchise Law Essentials,” presented at HCBA Corporate Counsel Section Luncheon, October 20, 2011
Articles & Publications
- “Arbitration Pacts In Franchising: One Size Doesn’t Fit All,” Law360 Expert Analysis, May 30, 2019
- “Proposed Florida Franchise Bill Dies in Committee,” Franchise Law Insider, April 10, 2017
- "Proposed Bill Threatens Franchising In Florida", Law360 Expert Analysis, February 2017
- Florida Law Chapter, Franchise Desk Book – Selected State Laws, Commentary and Annotations (Co-author), January 1, 2008
- The Florida Bar
- Pro Bono Policies Chair, Appellate Practice Section
Awards & Recognitions
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business Litigation, 2010