Carlos is a shareholder in GrayRobinson's Miami office. He has a diverse practice representing national and international corporations and individuals on a wide variety of matters. Carlos represents clients in litigation/arbitration matters, corporate work, and transactions. His areas of concentration include energy and natural resources, corporate and financial services, franchising and distribution, international asset recovery, international litigation and arbitration, and venture capital.
- Brandeis University, B.A. (1991)
- Tulane University Law School, J.D. (1994)
- Moot Court Finalist at Columbia University School of Law's 1994 Appellate Moot Court Competition
- Brian P. McSherry Community Award for Excellence in Community Service (founded and directed two pro bono clinics)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- International Law Section
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Serve as external general counsel to multi-national corporation involved in various lines of business including food production and distribution, real estate holdings, restaurant ownership and management, pet food production and distribution, and hospitality.
- Serve as external general counsel for U.S. subsidiary for publicly traded Indian corporation involved in the transportation infrastructure sector.Serve as external general counsel for international banking institution based in Puerto Rico.
- Serve as external general counsel for media and music artists management company focused in the Latin urban music genre.
- Represent two South American investors in two parallel cases before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida in claims against U.S.-based individuals and entities
- Represented client in sale of U.S. based telecommunications company with operations in Latin America and Caribbean to a Hong Kong based publicly traded company.
- Advised client in securing financing for development of a resort hotel and casino in Aruba and in negotiation of a management agreement with U.S. based international hotel company.
- Represented two infrastructure development companies in case tried in federal court in Miami against the Government of the Dominican Republic for breach of contract.
- Represented principals of Ecuadorean engineering company in AAA/ICDR arbitration against claims for breach of Share Purchase Agreement filed by a publicly traded Australian company.
- Represented wealthy Latin-American business executive in claims filed in Switzerland arising from Odebrecht investigations.
- Represent a South American Futbol Federation in negotiations with FIFA and CONMEBOL.
- Represented Belgian nationals in dispute against Belgian and U.S. based entities arising from fraudulent investment schemes.
- Represented Ecuadorean nationals in inter-family dispute over ownership, management and control of various business holdings in the U.S.
- Represented largest U.S.-based family office in AAA/ICDR arbitration against claims filed by client/investor arising from losses from investments in Bernard Madoff feeder funds
- Represented second largest producer of generic pesticides in the world in AAA/ICDR arbitration in claims and counterclaims arising from acquisition of a Colombian subsidiary
- Represented Japanese conglomerate’s food division in AAA arbitration arising from contract dispute with a U.S.-based corporation.
- Served as external counsel to a satellite provider to telecommunications companies in Central and South America and Africa. Representation includes arbitration against Russian state-owned satellite operator.
- Represented one of two shareholders in a “corporate divorce,” which included assets in Peru, Ecuador, and the U.S.
- Represented Venezuelan client in negotiating with Chinese company for the purchase of oil drilling equipment and licensing of related technology.
- Represented Colombian entity in negotiations with venture capital investors for mining projects.
- Represented Central American conglomerate in shareholder dispute litigated in Florida, Panama, Canada, Bermuda, Venezuela, Spain, BVI and Guatemala, including development of case strategies in all jurisdictions and retention, supervision and coordination of foreign counsel.
- Represented Bermuda subsidiary of Swiss cement manufacturing corporation in AAA arbitration seeking to compel buy out of dissident Panamanian minority shareholder.
- Represented global bank in claim against officers who perpetrated a fraud on the bank and located and recovered diverted assets in Argentina.
- Defense of Fortune 500 company in AAA arbitration seeking to recover monies owed by a Panamanian corporation
- Represented Chicago-based bank in claim against a client who perpetrated a fraud on the bank and located and recovered assets which were diverted to Uruguay.
- Represented Ecuadorian and Colombian clients in negotiation and resolution of franchise dispute with a U.S.-based corporation.
- Negotiated and settled trademark dispute between Argentinean client and a U.S. corporation, enabling client to continue exporting merchandise to the U.S., Canada, and Mexico
- Represented U.S.- based power company in ICC arbitration seeking to recover monies owed by the Dominican Republic
- Represented international construction company in arbitration against Colombian state entity for claims related to work performed at various Colombian airports.
- Represented Spanish insurance company in ICC arbitration against Colombian entity for breach of joint venture agreement.
- Represented U.S.-based power company in ICC arbitration seeking to recover monies owed by the Republic of Panama
- Represented Latin American automobile dealers association in claim arising from shipment of vehicles from the U.S. to the Dominican Republic.
- Represented Salvadoran telecommunications provider in litigation filed in Florida court against Luxembourg-based partner for violation of joint venture agreement.
- Represented of Guatemalan corporation in multimillion dollar claims in various jurisdictions arising from trading of coffee futures.
Awards & Recognitions
- Who's Who Legal
- Global Leader - Litigation, 2020
Presentations & Seminars
- "Caught in the Courts in the Americas," American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Fall Meeting, 2004
- Presentations to the Financial Institutions' Counsel Forum on recent developments in the law and the resulting implications to financial institutions in Florida, 1999, 2000
- "Gathering Evidence Abroad," International Center for Dispute Resolution's Third Annual International Arbitration Conference