Mr. Schatzman has practiced Business Bankruptcy Chapter 11 and out-of-court workout and restructuring law for more than 35 years. He has represented debtors, court appointed committees, secured creditors, asset acquisitions in 363 sales, chapter 11 plan proponents and various special interests in high-profile and public cases in Florida, Delaware as well as in other Bankruptcy Courts in other Jurisdictions. He has litigated and defended bankruptcy Chapter 5 causes of action. In addition to his bankruptcy practice, he has represented both debtors and creditors committees in sophisticated out-of-court workouts.
Mr. Schatzman has represented both assignees and assignors in Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors in state court assignments. Since 1991, he has been listed as a leading Florida Attorney in Best Lawyers in America in the field of Bankruptcy Law. In 1999, he was the recipient of the prestigious President's Cup Award from the Commercial Law League of America.
Mr. Schatzman presently serves as a Mediator on the Bankruptcy Court panel of Mediation in Delaware. He provides services in mediations for complex chapter 11 controversies, confirmation issues and adversary proceedings including avoidance actions.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Bankruptcy Law
- Debtor/Creditor Rights
- Workout and Loan Restructuring
- University of Miami, B.A. (1967)
- University of Miami, J.D. (1971)
- Completed Extensive Circuit Court Mediation Training Program Certified by the Florida Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for Florida, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for Florida, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for Florida, Northern District of Florida
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Member, The American Bar Association (Chapter 11 Subcommittee , Chapter 11 Task Force Subcommittee, Secured Creditors Subcommittee)
- Member, Commercial Law League of America (Board of Governors Member, 1990-94; Recording Secretary, 1997-98; Bankruptcy Section Chair, 1999 - 2000; U.S. Trustee Cooperation Committee Chair, 1987-90; U.S. Nominating Council, 1987-90; Southern Region Executive Council, 1991; President, Fund for Public Education, 1995-97; Board of Associate Editors, 1993-present)
- Member and Past President, Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware, Mediation Panel Registry
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Economic Society of South Florida
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2009
- Chambers USA, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2012
- Best Lawyers in America, 1989-2013, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law Section
- President, Progress Board of Miami, 1982-83
- Citizens Board, University of Miami
- Temple Beth Am, President, 2005-present; Board of Trustees Chair, 2011-2013
- University of Miami President's Council, 2012-2013
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Tools & Resources for Today's Real Estate Professional: Survival School Basics: Workouts, Restructuring and Making it Work; Speaker -- Urban Land Institute Southeast Florida/Caribbean Seminar (June 2009).
- Panelist, Turnaround Management Association presentation on Complex Real Estate Out-of-Court Workouts, Jacksonville, Fla., July 9, 2009.
- Panelist, Real Estate Panel: The Benefits of Out-of-Court Work-outs for Real Estate, Miami, Fla., November 18, 2009.